Monday, August 3, 2009

A Strange New Place

As the title to this post suggests, Kara and I are in a strange new place, and have been here ever since she graduated back in May. This strange new place is sort of like of a Venn diagram. Kara is in one place, I'm in another, but our relationship is somewhere in the middle.

These places I speak of aren't actual places like Chicago or Indianapolis, but rather the states our lives are currently in. Kara has entered the working world, and has been there since the first day of June. I am entering my senior year of college. Our relationship is stuck somewhere in between these two exciting, yet stressful, points of our lives.

As many of you may already know (and I do not quite know yet), entering the working world is a harsh reality for any new college graduate. What happened to staying out late? Sleeping in the next morning? And being your own boss? The working world is a huge change from the collegiate life. Because of this, it can take quite some time to get used to. Kara is at that point in her life, trying to get acclimated to her new life and career, while at the same time trying to maintain a relationship with someone who is still in college. No matter which way you look at it, it is a stressful time for her.

The stress of all the changes in Kara's life have shown their faces in our relationship as well. Just how stress affects the person, stress also affects almost every aspect of that person's life. Kara has had some tough days since starting her job. She lets the stress get to her some days, and then can have an assortment of emotions flowing through her, ranging from agitation to longing. It can make conversations difficult and can magnify a small disagreement into a big one.

While it sounds like this is entirely an issue that Kara has to deal with, it isn't. I realize the stresses she is feeling, so I should be more understanding and helpful throughout the journey. I try to be, but of course, I fail sometimes (if not most of the time). I occasionally become impatient and that doesn't help either Kara or myself.

So yes, there are now two difficult aspects to Kara's and my relationship (if you include the long distance part). Of course it will take some hard work to make this relationship continue to flourish, but then again, every relationship requires a lot of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment