Thursday, July 23, 2009

First Sight

Editor's note: "First Sight" is a title of a chapter in the yet-to-be-published Midnight Sun, which is Twilight told from Edward's perspective. I'm obsessed, don't worry about it.

Jeff's version of our story is pretty accurate, but I think you'll find my perspective more detailed and basically more fun to read... haha, but it might be longer - sorry!

I attended Jackie and Adam's wedding in Nov. '07 (super fun wedding, by the way, even though I didn't know anyone). I noticed Jeff because he was in the wedding party, and my mom thought he was cute. As for his then-girlfriend, she-who-must-not-be-named (ha), my mom and I noticed her too since she was wearing a heinous, not weddingish dress. But, we didn't have any contact during the ceremony.

Life went on, and I was getting ready to study abroad in Barcelona for spring semester of my junior year. Like Jeff, I was pretty lonely, so I also spent a lot of time on facebook. I said hey to Adam one day, and soon after (late January), I got a friend request from none other than Jeff Greco. For some reason, I was extremely excited about this. I even told my mom about it while skyping her from one of my friend's dorms...which was full of my guy friends who overheard the whole thing and thought I was a huge dork (which is true). And I stalked Jeff like crazy every day.

It was Jeff's birthday a couple weeks later, so I posted the required "happy birthday," but I was a couple days late, so he responded noting my tardiness. A little banter went on every once in a while. I remember wanting to talk to him more, but not wanting to be obvious and post too much. Somehow, we got to talking about the Office and how I was sad that I would miss the first episode after the writer's strike. Jeff promised to send my a synopsis of the episode as soon as it aired (mid-April).

The synopsis he sent me was pretty weak, but it enabled him to send me a facebook message instead of a wall post, so our conversations got a little longer and deeper. One day, about two or three weeks before I left Spain, I randomly picked up a wireless signal at my homestay and was able to get online from home. One Saturday morning, after a particularly wild night, I was pretty sick - with what I assumed was the flu - but looking back, I realize it was probably alcohol poisoning. Whoops. Anyway, my away message said I was sick, and Jeff sent me an IM that he was sorry. So, we started AIMing from there.

Jeff has accurately told both our sides of the next part..we talked a lot, I was sad about leaving, he gave me his number. I was SOOO nervous about calling him, I put it off as long as possible. I called on the way home - possibly the most awkward convo ever. I seriously thought he would never want to talk to me again...but he texted me later that night! We only texted for awhile, working our way up to phone calls, every one of which was at least three hours.

What's funny is that at the time, I didn't think Jeff liked me. Who talks to someone they don't like on the phone for 3+ hours every night?! I'm dumb. Anyway, blah, blah, blah, we met at Eleni's on May 14th (it was actually a Wednesday, not a Tuesday). It was SUPER AWKWARD at first. I wanted to crawl under the table during dinner. And that lemon thing is endearing, by the way. So I like my water really lemon-y...who cares?!

The night got better after we were at Eleni's. By the way, our first kiss was in her garage, the second kiss was in the driveway...after I had to practically force myself onto Jeff because he wouldn't make a move. But it was a wonderful night, and we started dating after that; although, at first we said we were going to take it slow and see how the summer went... and here we are, over a year later. Yay! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment